DIY Designer Inspired Bracelet Party

I have no idea how we got this party started lol. I’m pretty sure it’s all Trina’s fault when she tweeted a link to a curb chain bracelet and 5 other bloggers, including myself, knew exactly what she was up to.

Since then, if you follow me on Twitter, you may have caught me tweeting with my buds and swapping ideas about DIY designer inspired bracelets. We were all so inspired that we decided to make bracelets and post all of our designs on the same day at each of our blogs – welcome to our bracelet party! I chose to make a Giles & Brother braided hex nut bracelet “look for so much less”. The real retails anywhere between $175-$250, but I put mine together for under $35! Read on for a how-to and links to my other blogger buds’ bracelets.

Giles & Brother Hex Nut Bracelet DIY Look For Less

I found a great tutorial for a hex nut bracelet over at Honestly WTF. I love their white and brass bracelet for summer, but I really wanted a season-less bracelet that more closely resembles the Giles & Brother hex nut bracelet with the blue wrap cord, beaded chain, and multi-size hex nuts.

• 2 sets of #10-24 Brass Machine Nuts
  • 2 sets of 1/4″-20 Brass Machine Nuts
  • 2 sets of #6-32 Brass Machine Nuts
  • 5″ Gold Beaded Chain (sold in 3′ at Lowes fan department)
  • 3 yards of Blue Waxed Cotton Cord (cut into 1 yard pieces)
  • 3 oz Can Krylon Espresso Spray Paint (optional for a bronzed finish)
  • 6 Tube Crimping Beads (hole large enough for a strand of wax cord)
  • Toggle Clasps (using the hoop side only)

If you’d like a bracelet with a bronze tarnished finish, very lightly spray both sizes of the brass hex nuts and beaded chain until you achieve your desired finish. Allow to dry, approximately 30 minutes per side. Next, I followed the directions at Honestly WTF.

Once you’ve completed the braiding, on the short braided end of the bracelet, wrap the waxed cord around the center of beaded chain and knot the cord exactly where the previous knot is located where the braid ends (see pic above). Next we are going to place the hoop closure on the opposite side of the bracelet. Wrap the bracelet around your arm 3 times to determine where the clasp should go, string the 3 pieces of cord through the hook on the hoop closure, and knot the hook of the hoop in that location. Try the bracelet on to make sure it fits well by wrapping it around your wrist and securing it by looping the chain though the hoop clasp before securing. If it fits well, cut the excess of the cord two inches outside of the hoop clasp. Finish all six wax cord ends off by crimping some tube crimping beads with some flat nose pliers.

Giles & Brother Hex Nut Bracelet DIY Look For Less

Giles & Brother Hex Nut Bracelet DIY Look For Less

Hex Nut Wrap Bracelet paired with JewelMint’s Paroahs and Zip Bracelet

So what do you think of this hex nut bracelet DIY? Should I get together with my blogger buds and go for another DIY bracelet party soon (cuz I’d kinda love to)? Make sure you check out my buds’ woven chain bracelets by clicking the links below.

DIY Designer Inspired Bracelets Blogger Roundup

DIY Designer Bracelet DIY Designer Bracelet DIY Designer Bracelet DIY Designer Bracelet DIY Designer Bracelet

1. Trina says:

Jenn! Yours turned out amazing! Such a fun post to do with your girls. I definitely want to do it again :)

2. Alysson says:

It looks awesome!! great job girl

3. I HAVE to make this one! I love it!

4. Love it!! Can’t wait to try a hex nut version like this – looks great!

5. Giovanna zomoida says:

That is so great!!!! Guess I will be trying this! Did you have to go a hardware store for the brass nuts or do they have at a craft store?

6. Amy Rouse says:

very very cool!! I just forwarded to my nephew who is very crafty for inspiration. And hoping he makes me one… LOL

7. Lou says:

I really like your bracelet and you got it right on, it looks much harder than the others, but a challenge. May eventually try it after I make one of the others. I really like the bracelets you have from JewelMint, really LIKE :) You ladies did a great job with this DIY project and thanks for sharing.

8. Ally says:

I love everything all you girls made! I definitely may have to try making a few of these!

9. Lia says:

If you do this again, COUNT ME IN!!! I’m so sad I didn’t know about the first one!
    xoxo
    Lia

10. Mandy says:

I Need. I LOVE. I HAVE to have/make! This looks amazing! You did such a great job!!

11. Just found your blog via My Dressy Ways. I’m a fan now. I loved how the hex nut bracelet turned out. I really like the Jewelmint Pharaoh bracelet! Gorgeous pairings.
    xo,
    the fashionable ESQ

• no way! i love my dressy ways and im so happy you found me :) if you try the hex nut bracelet, you’ll have to share a pic :) thanks so much for the comment and i hope you’ll keep in touch! :)

12. Aryana says:

I’m a bit late to the party but am loving the DIY bracelets! I made a woven one today. Was able to get the chain & embroidery thread at Michael’s (only $0.35 so I got like a million colors haha). The biggest chain they had was still not as big as I wanted though… may have to order some on eBay if I can’t find them elsewhere… even though they all ship from China *sigh* Here is a picture of mine! http://instagr.am/p/aNmpE/

Going to stop by Home Depot tomorrow to get the twine and hex nuts for the hex nut bracelet! I love how these bracelets require so few materials – one stop shop! :)